Monday, March 28, 2011

Dining Out post WLS

While I know it is probably best not to dine out much after WLS, there are occasions that call for meals in a restaurant. Yesterday I went to Atlantic City to meet up with a few post-op friends. When the time came to sit down for lunch we chose a place and began scouting the menu.

We decided on sharing an appetizer so we wouldn't have left overs to carry around. For 3 of us the bill was relatively small. I didn't think much about it then but the thought hit me later on... We probably did not leave a big enough tip!

Now that we eat so much less, I know I tend to order so much less. While that is great for my wallet, the person who gets the short end of the stick is usually your server.

Pre-WLS, think about how much you used to spend dining out with one person. Take a place like TGIFridays... a place I used to frequent before my WLS days. When I went with my husband, we used to share an appetizer, get two meals and either 1 or 2 desserts. Plus the two sodas I drank with my meal. The server has been to my table about 6 times brought us many many soda refills without being asked usually and the bill wound up coming to somewhere between $50-$60. Right? Story sound familiar?

Post-WLS, hypothetically, My hubby and I go to TGIFridays (which we do every other month or so) and he orders the 3 course meal for 17 dollars. Generally he will get the green bean fries, some type of fish and dessert. What do I order.... Nothing! We share. Why... Because I cannot eat more than 4 ounces of food in one sitting. I no longer order a soda or anything else to drink because if it's there I will drink with my meal and I don't want to do that so I just skip it all together, I will have two green bean fries, about 3oz of his fish and one bite of whatever dessert he orders, if there is still room, which usually there isn't. So this now cuts our bill in half to about $25. The server has still been to the table at least times, still brings hubby his soda refills and does a little less work.

Now we get the bill. Generally we leave a 20% tip which would amount to about $5. Is that enough? I don't think so... What do you think? the odds are, unless you have been a server at one point in your life you probably don't think much about this. I didn't either until yesterday and I have been a post-op for 3 years! I think perhaps we should start tipping as if we were eating two meals. What do you think?

xoxo
Sleeve Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...